Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Muslim woman drinking Alcohol!!!!!

Hey guys..I am back again with a little post of mine..

Most of my friends drink but I still refrain from drinking. Today I saw a senior of my college. I wont name her. She is a Muslim gal and she was drinking "bottoms up" (if I am using the right term). I don't know why did I feel odd. Maybe because I didn't like her drinking alcohol. Maybe I am gender biased. Maybe I close my eyes when I see a Muslim man drinking but when I see a Muslim woman drinking, I start feeling something different.

Something is wrong with our upbringing right from our childhood which encourages men to do all sorts of bad things without us making a fuss out of it. While when a women does the same thing, we suddenly start shouting about moralistic values and culture and blah blah blah...

Why do a gal need to answer odd questions if she wants to smoke or drink???

Why can't we have same laws and same rules (Rules and Laws here are in moralistic sense and not legal sense) for both the sexes???

Why do all men crave to have a "Virgin" wife when they are themselves not virgin???

I must say something is definitely wrong with us or our culture.......

PS: This post is not for Muslims but for all Indians to look inside them and try to identify the biases they have.......

2 comments:

  1. zubairbhai...
    in a way u r criticising urself....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good observation .. but male chauvanism has been a dominant force in almost all cultures except pagan followers .

    But cultures evolve but not always in a better way ..

    Amartya Sen in his Argumentative Indian tells about "the argumentativeness of indian women in society as a prominent feature long time back somewhere in the BCs..until there were foreign attacks on India and women became soft targets . They started living indoors ..and hence the pattern "

    So history has a domino effect in the way cultures evolve but the sad point is .. that cultures evolve slowly .

    So now in the contemporary times , where again women are soft targets of violence (take rape , robbery ..) acting in the negative , accompanied with women empowerment and education acting in the postive ..... it becomes a mathematic equation ...and culture will evolve faster if the difference btw the positive and negative is big . Thats wht we all must try to achieve ..

    Everything else will itself fall into place.

    ReplyDelete